Thursday 28 September 2017

Visually impaired Ethiopian lawyer wins global award for promoting disability rights

A visually impaired female Ethiopian lawyer was named a joint winner of the 2017 Right Livelihood Award, also known as Sweden’s alternative Nobel Prize.

The 35-year-old human rights lawyer Yetnebersh Nigussie was on Tuesday awarded 3 million Swedish crowns ($374,000) which will be shared among the three joint winners.

“I really want to see a world where nobody is discriminated because of his or her disability or any other status,” she told the Thompson Reuters Foundation.

“I started my fight, not by telling people, but showing people that I’m able to contribute. I have one disability but I have 99 abilities,” she added.

Yetnebersh Nigussie went blind at the age of five and was considered unfit in the community.

Her parents enrolled her at the Catholic boarding school for girls with disabilities in the capital Addis Ababa where her life changed for the better.

UCJ, UNILORIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave you comment