Sunday 9 July 2017

Woman jailed for driving in Saudi Arabia, opens up

Women's rights activist who was jailed, for defiling Saudi Arabia's female driving ban has opened up about her ordeal.

Manal Al-Sharif, spent nine days behind bars after being charged with 'driving while female'.

She uploaded a YouTube video of herself travelling through the streets of Khobar in May 2011.

Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world that forbids women from driving; but the ban did not stop the now 38-year-old from taking control over her life.

"I lost custody of my son, my job and my home (marriage), but I just have to accept the consequences; otherwise, women don't move forward", she said.

Ms Al-Sharif explained that when she got married to her second husband, she seek permission from her father and a 'special permission from the government' because she wasn't allowed to marry a non-Saudi man.

UCJ, UNILORIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave you comment