Thursday 10 August 2017

Thiem stuns, Berdych withdraws from Rogers Cup


Argentinean Diego Schwartzman provided the day's biggest upset at the Rogers Cup, when he took down third seed Dominic Thiem in a nearly three-hour battle.

Schwartzman climbed out of a 5-2 deficit in the decisive set, repeatedly escaping trouble, to win five straight games and pull off the victory 6-4 6-7(7) 7-5.

Schwartzman had defeated 16th ranked Roberto Bautista Agut earlier in the year and pushed Novak Djokovic to five sets at the French Open, but his win over Thiem is his biggest win of the season.

Czech Tomas Berdych, the number 10 seed, withdrew from the tournament prior to his first round match against Nikoloz Basilashvili citing a rib injury.

"I am sorry I have to apologise all my Montreal fans. I couldn't play, because of my rib dysfunction I need to get well to go to (the) office soon," Berdych said on Twitter.

UCJ, UNILORIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave you comment